File Write Permission Rules

David J. Camp david at wubios.wustl.edu
Wed Feb 8 13:20:59 AEST 1989

We have a strange situation where a program can write to a file even
though it does not have write permission.  What it does is remove the
file and write a new one in its place.  It can do this because it has
write permission to the directory in which the file is contained.

My question is:  What is the (historical or otherwise) justification for
this rule?  It seems wrong.  I would have required write permission to
the file itself in order that it be removed.
-David-
--
Bitnet:   david at wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios at wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics