Need Help with networking, mail, uucp, sendmail

Alex Auinger auing at linod.UUCP
Fri Feb 17 23:16:33 AEST 1989

Need urgently prototype master and slave sendmail.cf files.
We have a local ethernet to which among others a couple of
Sun workstations (OS 3.5.1, 4.0.1) and a VAX 11/780 (4.3 BSD) is connected.
The vax is connected to the outside world via a serial line (modem).
Uucp and mail works between the VAX and the outside world with the
uucp syntax macha!machb!user and with the user at mach syntax between
machines on the ethernet.

My Problem is that the uucp syntax does not work from one of the suns
to the vax and outside world and vice versa. I would like to say
vax!vaxuser from one of the suns, and sun!sunuser from the vax and mail should
go over the ethernet.
Neither the original sendmail.cf files from OS 3.5 nor the 4.3 BSD files
do the job. What do I need? What am I doing wrong?

It would still be nicer to use user at host in general on all machines.
where host means any machine which is named in the uucp maps.
Can anyone please give me hints how to setup such a configuration,
and what documentation should be read. Is it necessary to have a name
server running (which we don't at the moment)? We have all uucp maps
and pathalias, too.

Thanx in advance

Alex Auinger, System Administrator
UUCP: ...{cpmain,icus,motown,philabs}\!mergvax\!linod\!auing
UUCP(Europe): ...\!mcvax\!unido\!linod\!auing
UUCP(Germany): ...\!unido\!linod\!auing
SNAIL: Linotype AG - dept.S/CC -
       Mergenthaler Allee 55-75
       D-6236 Eschborn, West Germany