sorting and reversing lines of a file

David Fiander david at hcr.UUCP
Wed Feb 1 03:59:27 AEST 1989

In article <9056 at burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> lang at pearl.UUCP writes:

>I need utilities to do two things:
>(1) reverse the order of lines in a file
>    but leave the lines themselves intact.
>    The Unix utility does just the opposite of this.

<Sanity check: I'm about to think of something Doug Gwyn hasn't>

If you don't need the file reversing as a filter,  which it in practice won't
behave as anyway, then ed will do just what you want:

	Script started on Tue Jan 31 12:47:35 1989
	$ cat demo
	line 1
	line 2
	line 3
	line 4
	line 5
	$ ed demo <<EOF
*>	> g/^/m0
*>	> w
*>	> q
*>	> EOF
	35
	35
	$ cat demo
	line 5
	line 4
	line 3
	line 2
	line 1
	$
	script done on Tue Jan 31 12:48:56 1989

Pretty nifty, eh?
--------
David Fiander (...!hcr!david)

"Jolt:  All the sugar and twice the caffeine of the leading colas"