Mailer question

Donnie Love dlove at wnyosi2.arpa
Wed Feb 15 02:19:25 AEST 1989

I've got an Altos 3068 Unix System V machine running Scope
Microgateway DDN software.  I've been testing the SMTP
implementation and have a small problem.  Whenever I receive
mail from an originator on the DDN,  the first line of the
mail indicates that the mail is from "root" on the local system.
This causes "root" to be displayed whenever I print the mail
header summary.  Also,  when I reply the note goes back to
"root".  The first line of the mail message is not in RFC-822
format,  but seems to be a local Unix header line.

My question is,  which piece of software is building this first
line of header?  Is it the SMTP server (doubtful),  or the local
mailer (more probable)?  I don't have access to the SMTP server
or Altos local mailer source code,  so I can't point the finger
in any direction.  If anyone knows the answer,  I would greatly
appreciate some information.

Donnie R. Love
Open Systems Group
Fairfax,  Va.