Nfs -- root privs

MFHorn arosen at hawk.ulowell.edu
Wed Feb 1 11:19:19 AEST 1989

> What I want to do is to be able to sit
> as root on caesar, and modify files on the other machines.  This used to
> work uder Ultrix 2.0, there was a procedure to change the value of the
> kernel variable nobody to 0 rather than -2.  It don't seem to work under
> 2.3

Check /etc/exports on the server.  Chances are you're missing '-r=0'.
The -r option sets the uid mapping for that filesystem.  The default
is -2.

One nice feature about DEC's NFS is root-uid mapping is on a per-filesystem
basis rather than having just one mapping for the whole system.  It would
be even better if you could export a filesystem in more than way.  For
example, export /usr to host1 read-only and map root to -2, but export
/usr to host2 read-write and map root to 0 [Sun: hint, hint].

--
Andy Rosen           | arosen at hawk.ulowell.edu | "I got this guitar and I
ULowell, Box #3031   | ulowell!arosen          |  learned how to make it