Seagate ST-251 problems

Jim_Borza jborza%burgundy at Sun.COM
Wed Feb 15 04:16:28 AEST 1989

In article <939 at starfish.Convergent.COM>, cdold at starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
> The squeal is almost certainly the spindle grounding brush.
> Aggravated by vertical mounting, this is a flat copper piece with a small
> piece of carbon that goes from the PC board to the spindle in the center
> of the drive.  Most of them chatter or squeal........
> ....another fix you will hear, but that I wouldn't recommend,
> is to take the tab off, and throw it away.  I doubt that it would
> have been installed if it wasn't part of the design.
> Clarence A Dold - cdold at starfish.Convergent.COM         (408) 434-2083
>                 ...pyramid!ctnews!professo!dold         MailStop 18-011
>                 P.O.Box 6685, San Jose, CA 95150-6685

Removing the static grounding strap is about the only way to silence a Mi-
cropolis drive.  New models don't even have them.  It's always been some-
thing of a puzzle to me anyway why the manufacturer would want to dis-
charge static through the traces on a PC Board.  BTW, I have two Microp-
olis 1325 drives operating for >1yr without the static straps - no prob-
lems (pardon me, make that three drives - one at work, too).

Jim Borza - Sun Microsystems
Disclaimer?  Sure, why not?