A dictionary for UNIX systems

Bob Ware bware at csm9a.UUCP
Wed Feb 8 10:39:59 AEST 1989

In article <11113 at umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU>, thors at umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU ('Olafur Thorsteinsson) writes:

> Is there a good on-line dictionary available for UNIX systems out there?
> If so, where can I find out more about it?
> Are there many, and then which one can you recommend?

I have been thinking about starting an on-line dictionary of Unix and computer
terms and this is a good time to ask what others think.

The idea is to spot terms (particularly new terms) used on the net and then
get definitions for them and add to the dictionary.  Initially, the definition
might come from the person who used the term on the net.

Periodically (every 3 to 6 months?), the dictionary would be posted to the
net and corrections or additions requested.

Advantages of such a project might be:

1. New terms in our rapidly changing industry would become available quickly.
2. It would be widly available to the very people who need it the most.
3. Schools could put it on-line in some form convenient to new students.
4. Schools could make hardcopy available in computer work areas, if desired.

Disadvantages:

1. Initially, it would contain only a small percent of the Unix and computer
terms (but the intial terms would perhaps be the newer ones that do not yet
appear in already  published dictionaries).
2. It would be lots of work (but I would hope to get help from contributors on
the net).

I might be willing to start such a project if there is interest (and I
can get my boss to agree).

Questions:

1. I someone already doing something like this.  (on-line, not hardcopy)?
2. Is it worth doing?
3. Any ideas about how it should be done?

I don't know how much response this article might get.  If you see lots
of articles, then send e-mail instead and I will summarize for the net.

Bob Ware, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Co 80401, USA
(303) 273-3987
bware at csm9a.colorado.edu bware at mines.bitnet isis!csm9a!bware
ucbvax!nbires!udenva!csm9a!bware