#! /bin/sh line in a shell script

Tim Oldham tjo at Fulcrum.BT.CO.UK
Thu Feb 9 04:01:35 AEST 1989

In article <382 at greens.UUCP> matthew at sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) writes:
>In article <8575 at orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, ghe at nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) writes:
>> I have seen number of times that a shell script file begining with a line
>> #! /bin/sh. What does that mean?
>
>    [matthew explains about kernel handling of #! ]

This isn't valid for all kernels ie versions and flavours of Unix. There's a
problem here; some flavours use #! and some assume your $SHELL, unless the
first line is blank, in which case they use /bin/sh. Such is my limited
experience, anyway.

	-> Tim
Tim Oldham      ...!mcvax!ukc!axion!fulcrum!tjo  or  tjo at fulcrum.bt.co.uk
#include	<stdisclaim>
"After five years in the institution, now I wanna be a good boy" - The Ramones