SUSPENDED PROGRAMS

Jeff Beadles jeff at tekcsc.MKT.TEK.COM
Sun Feb 12 10:18:44 AEST 1989

In article <248 at ibd.BRL.MIL> heilpern at brl.arpa (Mark A. Heilpern (IBD) <heilpern>) writes:

>A while back I cam across the 4.3BSD ability to 'suspend' a running process
>by hitting ^Z. (I think this is a CSH feature) (bug??)

This is a feature.  It's called Job Control.  Not all
C-Shell's have it.

>Is there any way to resume the process, either by letting it continue to
>run in the background or foreground?

Sure is.  Use "fg" to resume in the foreground, and "bg" to continue in the
background.  You may also use "jobs" to get a list of stopped jobs.

Fg/bg also take an arguement to them.  Use "fg %1" to bring job #1 to the
foreground.  See the manual in fg(1csh), bg(1csh), jobs(1csh), and
csh(1csh) for more information.

	Jeff Beadles
	jeff at tekcsc.MKT.TEK.COM