How to determine file being redirected to in C

Ray Curci scri curci at stat.uucp
Tue Feb 28 14:14:21 AEST 1989

In article <10 at sherpa.UUCP> rac at sherpa.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
>...  Anyway, can someone tell me how to determine (in C)
>if output is being redirected, or more precisely, how to determine the
>file output is being redirected to.
>Roger      rac at sherpa
>           uunet!sherpa!rac

You may want to investigate the isatty() function call.  I believe that
you can use something like:  isatty(stdout)  which will tell you if
standard out is going to a terminal (the usual case), or if it has been
redirected via a pipe or into a file.

ray curci
florida state university supercomputer institute
curci at stat.fsu.edu,  curci at nu.cs.fsu.edu