Problem with HP9000/330.

Montana State mtsu at blake.acs.washington.edu
Mon Feb 20 11:05:27 AEST 1989

Has anybody seen this before??  The system is an HP9000/330 with 4 meg,
the DOS coprocessor, and the 80 meg disc.  The user did the following things.

1) logged in.
2) entered DOS.
3) stopped DOS, and did a rlogin to another machine.  When he finished and
   tried to re-enter DOS, things went all to pieces.  The load started
   to climb (reached 9.0 max), idle time was still 90% idle, Free mem
    dropped to 16kbytes free, and swap utilization climed to 75% which is
   appx. 9 meg.

It's running HP-UX 6.0.  There were no other active processes, and just
the usual daemons were running.  Below is a snapshot of monitor...

Sun Feb 19 17:44:47 1989  9000/330 HP-UX monitor - GLOBAL SYS STATUS   1 of  1

HOSTNAME: picasso                      SYSTEM BOOTED:  Sat Feb  4 17:59:09 1989
                                       /hp-ux from CS80: 0x0e0000
RESOURCE UTILIZATION IN KILOBYTES
  Physical memory:              4096   Maximum user memory:         2564
  Free memory:                    16   User memory utilization:       99%

  Swap space configured:       12321   Enabled via swapon(1m):     12321
  Currently free swap space:    3281   Swap space utilization:        73%

User CPU:  1%   LAN packets in:   17   Context switches:   11    LOAD AVERAGES
Sys CPU:   7%   LAN packets out:   0   Trap calls:          5     1 min:  5.62
Idle CPU: 91%                          System calls:       74     5 min:  4.22
Nice CPU:  0%                          Device interrupts: 113    15 min:  2.72

SWAP DEVICE   KILOBYTES                XFERS  UTIL DISC
   0x0e0000       12321                5       14% / (12MB swap)

I would've tried to get more data, but updates were taking ~1 min. and
the user wanted his machine back, so exec reboot saved the day.  I tried
to kill the process, but ps hadn't kicked anything back after about 5 min.

While I read this group, I'm sure nobody else cares, so please send replies
to icsu6000 at caesar.cs.montana.edu or utah-gr!mts-cs!icsu6000