using width terminals on BSD4.2

Hunter Scales hunter at oakhill.UUCP
Thu Feb 9 04:23:34 AEST 1989

	I have a wyse-60 terminal at home that I use to log in to
	a Sun 3/280 at work.  I would like to use the 132 column mode
	on the wyse.  So far, I have re-written the termcap entry to
	allow the ANSI cursor movement sequence, and set stty cols to 132.
	This *almost* works.  The symptoms are: when using vi, the
	editor seems to be confused as to where the cursor is and will
	often (but not always ) print characters in the wrong places on
	the screen.  Since I regularly rlogin from my workstation at
	work to other and use large windows in Suntools and have had
	no problems, I conclude that the problem has something to do
	with the serial port and/or serial drivers.  Has anybody conquered
	this problem?

	Unrelated problem:  I seem to be having problems with flow control
	over this serial line.  I have a US Robotics Courier modem operating
	at max baud rate.  The terminal baud rate is 19200 as is the
	serial port on the Sun.  I have tried both the xon/xoff and
	hardware (RTS) handshake protocols and I still lose characters
	when catting long files.  Any suggestions?

					Thanks
--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas             {harvard,utah-cs,gatech}!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!hunter