Seagate ST-251 problems

DAVID NEWALL ccdn at levels.sait.edu.au
Thu Feb 16 22:21:40 AEST 1989

In article <591 at rpi.edu>, woody at pawl.rpi.edu (Chris A. Widmann) writes:
>   I just installed a Seagate ST-251 40 meg hard drive in a 20MHz AT clone.
> The drive works great for a few minutes and then it starts to squeel like
> crazy. The problem will disappear and reappear after a few more minutes.

Every hard drive I've ever seen, excepting those that are operated in
controlled environments, has exhibited this problem to some degree or
other.  Mind you, I've never heard of a _new_ drive doing it.  (Makes
me wonder if the drive is truly new.)

I was told that this noise issues from an earthing strap that sits on
top of the drive spindle.   Apparently the strap can move off centre,
and this causes the squeeling sound.   Apparently, also, it's nothing
to worry about.  Mind you, my old 80MB Wren had this problem; which I
ignored.  It got more persistent and eventually the drive died.  Sad!

I personally believe that the dust which accumulates inside computers
kept in uncontrolled environments, is a major factor in this problem.

David Newall                     Phone:  +61 8 343 3160
Unix Systems Programmer          Fax:    +61 8 349 6939
Academic Computing Service       E-mail: ccdn at levels.sait.oz.au
SA Institute of Technology       Post:   The Levels, South Australia, 5095