backup with compressed cpio files ?

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Sat Feb 18 05:04:44 AEST 1989

In article <9100001 at netmuc> bothe at netmuc.UUCP writes:

| what i suggest is to save my files with:
| find . -print | compress | cpio -oacB >/dev/rmt0

  Won't work. You want to compress the output of cpio, not the list of
files into it. An interesting concept, but no cigar.

  This should work:
	find . -print | cpio -oca | compress >/dev/rmt0

Two notes:
 1) you may need "dd bs=5k" after compress
 2) if you have -depth as an option, use it to reset directory times

  This works pretty well if you're willing to sacrifice performance for
media size. Double compressed files may get larger. Compression size and
performance is MUCH better if you can do all of one type of file (C
source, text, nroff, COFF) at a time, since the compress algorithm is
adaptive and performs better the more you give it of the same type.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)