Using RCS for release management

Mark Runyan runyan at hpirs.HP.COM
Fri Feb 3 07:30:10 AEST 1989

>/ Leisner.Henr at xerox.com (Marty) / 10:19 am  Jan 31, 1989 /
>What we want to accomplish is:
>	1) an automatic way of generating a release where a common ident string
>reflects the release level  (this isn't revision numbers of each source
>file) -- only one magic release string should be generated per delivered
>binary.

Instead of using $Release$, maybe you could use $State$.  That way,
revisions and version numbers are not directly tied to any particular
release, but the State variable could be used to define a release.

Specifically, the problem I'm suggesting that you avoid is the need to
check in "Null-change" revisions just because you are releasing a new
product.  (FileA has been changed from release 1 to release 2, but
FileB hasn't.  Therefore, to make both FileA and FileB have an ident
string with the "2.xx", you would have to check in a revision for FileB
which is exactly the same as the "1.xx" version.)

Mark Runyan