ULTRIX Command Line Editing in /usr/new/csh

Paul Hite paul at prcrs.UUCP
Wed Feb 8 03:44:21 AEST 1989

In article <6422 at boulder.Colorado.EDU>, rhysling at tramp.Colorado.EDU (Michael Rhysling) writes:
> Newcsh does indeed offer extensive editing of past commands.  There
> are several ways to do this.  If you press ESC as the first character
> on a line, your last command is displayed and can be edited with a
> subset of vi or emacs commands (depending on what your CSHEDIT environment
> variable is set to).  Using the up and down arrow keys, you can scroll
> through your history list.  Alternatively, you can use the ! character
> and a new qualifier, :v, to recall and edit the last matching command.
> For example, !cp:v retrieves the last cp command for editing.

Uh, well Michael, none of this works for me:

Script started on Tue Feb  7 12:32:49 1989
<21> exec /usr/new/csh -f
% setenv CSHEDIT vi
% !set:v
Bad ! modifier: v.
%
script done on Tue Feb  7 12:33:27 1989

I also tried ESC as the first character and got only a beep.  We have source
code for Ultrix including /usr/new/csh.  I grepped for CSHEDIT and got nothing.
I rechecked the documentation for /usr/new/csh and found no mention of your
features.

We are using Ultrix 2.2.  Perhaps you have 3.0?  Or maybe you have a public
domain csh that has overlaid the Ultrix (non-)standard /usr/new/csh?  In any
event, I would love to know where your csh came from.

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   uunet!prcrs!paul    (703) 556-2243
                      DOS is a four letter word!