X Terminals for Sun hosts over dial up phone lines

Bob Sutterfield bob at tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu
Wed Feb 22 02:29:37 AEST 1989

In article <2566 at antique.UUCP> hpk at antique.UUCP (Howard Katseff) writes:

   I would like to use one of these X terminals from home to access my
   Sun workstation at work over a dialup line.
   I have seen references to SLIP and 9600 baud modems but I am quite
   ignorant about such things.

In article <DANA.89Feb21094308 at dino.bellcore.com> dana at dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee) writes:
   I have a 9600 baud SLIP line from home, so I can give you a brief
   summary of what to expect ... NOTHING!!.  9600 is WAY too slow to
   run X over... For a summary, it would be very slow going, X was
   designed for a high speed network.

If all you want is an X terminal, you don't really want to bother with
becoming a part of the Internet.  SLIP is appropriate for providing IP
connectivity to remote workstations, but that's not really what an X
terminal is.

Without the overhead of SLIP, 9600 would be more tolerable for
interactive X applications.  A Trailblazer would be even better, since
it could try to batch and compress on the output side.