Endian wars - really 386 questi

Dik T. Winter dik at cwi.nl
Sun Feb 5 12:48:35 AEST 1989

In article <24318 at amdcad.AMD.COM> rpw3 at amdcad.UUCP (Rob Warnock) writes:
 > +---------------
 > | (Quick: who's run into Unix's 10K command-line limit?)
 > +---------------
 >
 > Yes, all of us, until we [most of us?] started using the standard utility
 > program "xargs" (used to be System-V only, until a p-d source for a useful
 > subset for 4.x BSD was posted several years ago). With "xargs", that 10k limit
 > becomes a non-issue. Instead of, for example:
 >
 > 	$ some_cmd -options `find <selection> -print`
 > try:
 > 	$ find <selection> -print | xargs some_cmd -options

But of course the two are equivalent only if "some_cmd -options" uses only
one input file at a time.  Try:
	cc -o aap `find <selection> -print`
And if they are equivalent you could already do:
	find <selection> -exec some_cmd -options {} \;
(although you have a lot more processes).
INTERNET   : dik at cwi.nl
BITNET/EARN: dik at mcvax