8-port serial async cards??

bill vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Sat Feb 4 04:55:19 AEST 1989

In article <823 at wb3ffv.ampr.org> howardl at wb3ffv.ampr.org ( WB3FFV) writes:
>In article <1135 at netxcom.UUCP>, rfrye at netxcom.UUCP (Rob Frye) writes:
>> In article <8417 at dasys1.UUCP> eddjp at dasys1.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) writes:
>>>We are considering upgrading our 386 XENIX box from an ARNET 4 port 9600 baud
>>>board, to a Bell Technologies ACE 8 port 38,400 baud board.
>>
>> I, too am interested in that card.  Please post responses; I think others
>> may wish to know.  Also, if anyone is using any other 8-port serial board
>> on SCO Xenix 386 that you like (particularly that will handle 38.4kbps)
>> please clue us in! :->

You might want to look at the Anvil Stallion.  Board is 8 or 16 in an AT
configuration or up to 12 in an AT system.

It does most of the kernel functions on the board and is fast.  The ONLY
drawback I have with it is that sometimes a user would get a print process
started and under the old system I could kill the process.  Under the Anvil
the process is dumped to the board and within about 2 seconds the system
thinks the job is done with - and then I can't kill it.

I haven't timed it - but Anvil says throughput to the board is in excess of
160kbs - it can sustain 9600 to 16 ports at a time.  It also goes up to 38k.
The only thing it doesn't have - and is due out shortly - is a driver for
transparent print like the Computone board.  If you are not familiar with the
Computone variant the keyboard does not lock up while you are printing to an
attached terminal.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill at bilver.UUCP