large capacity tape drives

Simon A Reap sar at datcon.UUCP
Wed Feb 1 03:46:50 AEST 1989

In article <18215 at adm.BRL.MIL> mmorse at note.nsf.gov (Michael Morse) writes:
| Does anyone have any experience with large capacity tape drives?
| .....  Any other comments on backing up disks over Ethernet?

We've been using MegaTape Corp's MegaTape 500 tape drive for a couple
of years now with great success on our Pyramid 9820.  It's a 500
Mbyte-per-cartridge (MDC500 cartridges), cassette tape drive, with the
cassettes costing about 150 dollars each, and being between 1 and 2 VHS
video cartridges in size.  It has a standard, daisy-chainable Pertec
I/F.  They also do a 750 Mbyte version.  We've no experience of
trans-Ethernet backups, since we the Pyramid is the only *real* machine
we have on the Ethernet - I don't count the PCs :-)

I don't work.  For Pyramid or MegaTape - I'm just satisfied.  As a user.
--
Enjoy,
yerluvinunclesimon             Opinions are mine - my cat has her own ideas