Remote printing access

btcx at vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU btcx at vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
Sat Feb 25 15:26:58 AEST 1989

I think I have a Sun/Unix problem:

I am having a problem getting CMU/TEK LPRSMB on our VAX to print remotely
on our Sun's printer.

I am using Art Stine's LPRSMB, which at least doesn't crash the queue
manager anymore.  (Available via anon ftp as LPRSMB.EXE_V47 on
OAK.CAD.CLARKSON.EDU - thanks Art!)

Here is the message from the Sun lp daemon as interpreted by the VAX s/w:

    73		Data Count: 70
	HEX:	61-73-74-72-6F-73-75-6E-3A-20-2F-75-73-72-2F-6C-69-62-2F-6C
	ASCII:	astrosun: /usr/lib/lpd: : Your host does not have

doing "string /etc/lpd" reveals that this message in its entirety
says that I do not have access to do remote printing as desired.

So, it seems that the problem is getting the Sun to give my host access; here
is what the various Sun access files have in them:

hosts
=====
128.84.242.21 cuspif.tn.cornell.edu cuspif

hosts.equiv
===========
+ at astrosuns

netgroup
========
astrosuns ... (cuspif.tn.cornell.edu,-,)

The Sun/Unix documentation also mentions hosts.lpd, but it also says
that hosts.equiv should serve the same function.

The above files are in the printer's host "/etc"

we have also done the "make hosts" or whatever, which I assume essentially
"compiles" the netgroup and host.equiv entries into IP addresses.
(The above type of entry is good enough for the diskless Suns to do remote lpr)
What else do we have to do?

Is it possible that the lpr request somehow gets another ip address associated
with it?

What tools are available on the Sun to monitor the network or to see what the
Sun thinks is going on?

Please reply directly to me or to cmu-tek-tcp.

thanks for any insights into this,
Brian Carcich
Internet:      CARCICH at CUSPIF.TN.CORNELL.EDU
(alternet:-):  BTCX at VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
BITnet:        BTCX at CRNLVAX5
SPAN::         CUSPIF::CARCICH