IBM 3270 (termcap wanted)

Steve Dempsey steved at longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu
Fri Jan 20 14:38:14 AEST 1989

In article <479 at csd4.milw.wisc.edu> zdenko at csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Zdenko Tomasic) writes:
>In article <419 at ispi.UUCP> jbayer at ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>>[he wants IBM 3270 termcap]
>>JB
>
>Termcap entry may not be very useful since 3270 cannot use cbreak
>and raw mode, I believe.

I'll second that belief.

>However, there is a utility tn3270 under
>4.3bsd which might be of use. (man -k 3270 gives the folowing) :
>
>map3270 (5) - database for mapping ascii keystrokes into IBM 3270 keys
>mset (1) - retrieve ASCII to IBM 3270 keyboard map
>tn3270 (1) - full-screen remote login to IBM VM/CMS

Yep, mapping FROM whatever you already have TO IBM 3270.  What the IBM
folks want goes in the opposite direction, and it's just not there.

In my limited experience, a 3270 is virtually useless on a unix
machine unless all you want is a dumb terminal.  The line-oriented
nature of the 3270 just does not lend itself to such applications as
one normally uses in the unix environment.  Not to mention the potential
hassle of EBCDIC/ASCII conversion.  (carets, square brackets, etc.)

Even when unix runs on IBM machines, the terminal of choice is an
ASCII terminal.  Sigh.

>Zdenko Tomasic

        Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
  Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
INET: steved at longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey at handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
UUCP: boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!steved, ...!ncar!handel!dempsey