UNIX 9th edition ????

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Sat Jan 14 13:55:50 AEST 1989

In article <19070 at agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu writes:
>I've heard recently of something called  9th edition UNIX being used at
>Bell Labs.  How does this fit in UNIX family tree. I thought all UNIX
>coming out of would be Sys V, SysV.4 being the next generation.

That's right, the only Unix you can buy from AT&T is Unix System V, in
whatever is the current release.

The ninth edition Unix is the successor of the eight edition which was the
successor of the seventh (well, that's not 100% true, but close enough).

Research on Unix is done using the ninth edition Unix at Bell Labs, but
this version is not for sale. There also exists no real "release", as
several routines or utilities are changing each day...

Paul.