How to let .rhosts just say no ?

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Tue Jan 24 23:03:08 AEST 1989

In article <616 at dutrun.UUCP> hans at duttnph.UUCP (Hans Buurman) writes:
>I have an account on machine x and on machine y. On y, x is in the
>/etc/hosts.equiv file. The accounts have the same user name z.
>Can I prevent z at x from logging in on y without giving a passwd ?

No.

Your systems administrator has decided that machine x is at least as
secure as machine y, and further that machine y is certain to be able
to tell that a message that purports to be from machine x is in fact
from machine x; or that, to whatever extent those two assertions may be
false, their value is worth more than their potential ill effects.

If your systems administrator did not mean that, it% should not have
said that.
-----
% non-sexist non-animist pronoun :-)