SXT's and SWTCH

Erik Murrey erik at mpx2.UUCP
Thu Jan 5 14:06:15 AEST 1989

I would like to be able to send a signal, or an ioctl() request to
"shl" to SWTCH to the layer manager.

Well, as you can *just* imagine, my documentation for SXT's is about
1+1/2 pages...  H*ll, the include file is longer than that!

My question is: how does a session manager (i.e. "shl") receive the
SWTCH hot-key from the tty driver?  A quick glance through
signal.h/sxt.h/termio.h reveals nothing.  Does it just do a read on
the controlling channel which blocks until SWTCH?

In this particular case, c_cc[VSWTCH] has been reset to '\0' (I
believe) so the application can use ^Z for something else....  This
makes it totally impossible to switch to another layer.

Please, no flames about SysV job control (what job control?)...  I'm
stuck with it...

Thanks!

--
Erik Murrey                            /|   //  /~~~~/  |  /
MPX Data Systems, Inc.                / | / /  /____/   |/