Does anybody know of a maker of fault tolerant unix systems?

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.COM
Fri Jan 27 16:27:38 AEST 1989

[how do I get fault-tolererance?]

In article <1538 at lznv.ATT.COM>, ziegler at lznv.ATT.COM (J.ZIEGLER) writes:
> And please don't forget power protection, which can eliminate a
> primary cause of system failures to begin with.

     This really cannot be overstated.

     I think there is a common misconception that backup power
supplies are there to give you an extra {few} minutes of power to
do an orderly shutdown, but our experience has not shown this.
Instead, it is there to filter out the 1 second power dropout
that seems to be much more common.  In addition, clean, sine-wave
power will do *wonders* to make those annoying port hangs and
such go away.  We have had several customers for whom serious
line conditioners have made a day-and-night difference.

     Many probably cannot imagine how much damage bad power can
silently do to your machine.

      Steve

Stephen J. Friedl        3B2-kind-of-guy            friedl at vsi.com
V-Systems, Inc.       I speak for you only      attmail!vsi!friedl
Santa Ana, CA  USA       +1 714 545 6442    {backbones}!vsi!friedl
Nancy Reagan on these *stupid* .signatures: "Enough already, OK?"