DDJ article / UNIX vs BS/2

aglew at mcdurb.Urbana.Gould.COM aglew at mcdurb.Urbana.Gould.COM
Sat Jan 14 02:00:00 AEST 1989

>(something like one of the Gould "firebreathers" which WAS specifically
>blueprinted for UNIX is a different story).

If by Gould Firebreather you mean a Gould Powernode, well, it wasn't
*exactly* designed to run UNIX. Basically, the Powernodes are a virtual
memory version of the Gould Concept line; the Concept line was the
preeminent real-time flight-simulator machine of its day (in fact, in
many ways it still is), and typically ran a proprietary operating
system called MPX.
    The Concept line was basically your brute force fast iron approach:
simple instruction set, simple interrupt structure, fast I/O. It shouldn't
be too surprising that simple and fast runs UNIX as well as a proprietary OS.
    However, the virtual memory and base register extensions of the Powernode
series were pretty much UNIX oriented.

The Gould NPL line of processors was originally designed to run a
proprietary rewrite of MPX, but the rewrite turned out to be too expensive,
so the NPL can be said to be more UNIX oriented than most.