Getting an un-encrypted fortunes.dat

Steve Kirkendall kirkenda at psu-cs.UUCP
Fri Jan 6 07:45:08 AEST 1989

In article <906 at philmds.UUCP> leo at philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) writes:
>In article <2673 at m2-net.UUCP> mju at m-net.UUCP (Marc Unangst) writes:
>    [some lines deleted...]
>|Anybody know how the fortunes.dat file is encrypted?  I'd look in the fortune
>|source, but we don't have it here...
>
>There is one problem: you are probably not allowed to do this (that is,
>bringing the information thus acquired to your own system). Any lawyers
>out there?

I'm no lawyer, but I can't see how Berkely could object.  As I recall, there
is a comment somewhere in the source, that said something like:

	A lot of these fortunes come from copyrighted sources, and we
	haven't obtained permission to reproduce them here, but since
	we are only copying *parts* of the copyrighted works,  and we
	aren't going to make any money from them, this should be O.K.
	right?  Any lawyers out there?

(That's not an exact quote, but you get the idea.)
--
"If I seem insensitive to what you're going through,
	keep in mind that's the way I am." -- Mr. Spock