100ns .vs. 120ns

Tom Albrecht tom at dvnspc1.UUCP
Wed Jan 11 06:24:17 AEST 1989

In article <377 at fantasci.UUCP>, jep at fantasci.UUCP (Joseph E Poplawski) writes:
> How bad of a speed difference would my UNIX V.3 for the 80386 system incur if
> I added 120ns chips instead of the 100ns chips it already has 2 meg of?  The
> system is a personal system with no more than 3-5 users on at the extreme most.
>
> The reason I am considering the slower chip is mainly the price.
>
> Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I was running Unix V.3 on a 16MHz 386 system for some time.  When I encountered
a problem that the system wouldn't boot, I sent it in for repair.  The
guys at the depot replaced my 16MHz board with a 20MHz one.  For a while I
continued to use my old 4MB memory expansion board that was rated for 16MHz.
I never encountered any problems with the slower memory, although I did
eventually get new memory.

Hope it helps.

--
Tom Albrecht