sed question

jhc at vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU jhc at vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
Fri Jan 27 14:05:47 AEST 1989

Hello.

Our implementation of the news software, because it is run in Eunice on top
of VAX/VMS, has some shortcomings.  One of these, is that, when using Pnews
or Rnmail, the Reply-To: line does not include your real name, just a pair
of parenthesis.  I would like to add a line to my personalised copies of
Pnews and Rnmail to automate adding in the realname info.  Unfortunately,
I'm having difficulty getting the sed line correct.  Specifically, I want
sed to find the line that starts Reply-To: and then replace any instances of
() with ($REALNAME) where $REALNAME is the value of the environmental
variable REALNAME, and where the parenthesis are in the file.  Perhaps it
would be more understandable liek this:
what we have:	\050\051
what we want:	\050($REALNAME)\051
where: \nnn is the character specified by nnn ascii, nnn in octal
and:   ($CCC) is the value of the env. variable named CCC.

As an alternative, I would accept having a specific string inserted between
the parenthesis on the Reply-To: line rather than the value of the env.
variable.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any help in this.

P.S.	Pnews & Rnamil are written in sh, for those unfamiliar w/ those 2
	scripts.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.          "Entropy isn't what it used to be."
jhc at Crnlvax5.BITNET            --c/o Fortune @ batcomputer.UUCP