UNIX 9th edition

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Jan 14 23:17:40 AEST 1989

In article <19070 at agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu writes:
>I've heard recently of something called  9th edition UNIX being used at
>Bell Labs.  How does this fit in UNIX family tree. I thought all UNIX
>coming out of would be Sys V, SysV.4 being the next generation.

UNIX System V is the commercial AT&T UNIX product.
9th Edition UNIX is used only internally by some of the Bell Labs
research staff, plus a small number of selected outside sites
that were considered to be likely to contribute to its development
(just a few universities so far as I know).
Many of 8th and 9th Edition UNIX's innovations eventually appeared
(usually in somewhat altered form) in the commercial product.