a.out file data structure

peter troxell troxell at dinl.uucp
Fri Jan 27 11:21:16 AEST 1989

I am interested in finding out what the data structure is in the a.out
file that has been dynamically linked between the end of procedure
instructions in the text segment and the recognized end as reflected in
the value of _etext symbol. I have examined both the a.out.h and exec.h
include files along with the man entries for ld, and a.out. None seem to
indicate what is the data that resides there.

My initial guess is that it is some sort of initialization data for the
dynamic loader to inform it as to locations where libraries can be loaded.
Is this true?

Thanks..

Peter Troxell
NET:     ncar!dinl!troxell
US-MAIL: Martin Marietta I&CS, MS XL0402, P.O. Box 1260,
         Denver, CO 80201-1260
Phone:   (303) 977-2765