remote background jobs

zifrony at TAURUS.BITNET zifrony at TAURUS.BITNET
Thu Jan 12 04:27:21 AEST 1989

In article <1103 at smidefix.liu.se> pausv at liuida.BITNET writes:
>Problem: How do I start a background server process on another machine?
>        I have tried using rsh, but it refuses to exit when I want it to.
>        I have also looked at rexec(), but it seems to require username
>        and password info to be availiable; a real pain in the ***.
>
>Question: How do I achieve this, without leaving rsh, in.rshd or
>          other processes waiting for the server to die ?
>                  /Paul
>---
>Paul Svensson                  psv at ida.liu.se                  SM5SJS

Sorry for the late posting, but I've just reched this newsgroup.
But now to business.

I have encountered the same problem when trying to create a server process,
on another machine via 'system("rsh ....")'.  What I did, after consulting
with the local wizard was:

1. close fds 0, 1 and 2.
2. fork() - the server runs as the child process.
3. the father commits suicide.

This works just fine for me, but I guess it slows down the initialization.

Later, the initiating process on machine A, and the server process on machine
B talked using a socket.

Try it, and may god be with you.

Doron Zifrony           E-mail: zifrony at taurus.bitnet or
Msc. student                    zifrony at Math.Tau.Ac.IL
Tel Aviv University
Israel