UNIX 9th edition ????

Jim Rosenberg jr at oglvee.UUCP
Sat Jan 28 05:42:07 AEST 1989

In article <8754 at alice.UUCP> debra at alice.UUCP () writes:
>In article <19070 at agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu writes:
>>I've heard recently of something called  9th edition UNIX being used at
>>Bell Labs.  How does this fit in UNIX family tree.

[...]

>The ninth edition Unix is the successor of the eight edition which was the
>successor of the seventh (well, that's not 100% true, but close enough).

Scuze me if this sounds rude, but it seems to me that *NOBODY* answered the
poster's original question!!!  I assume that anyone capable of posting to
Usenet can figure out that 9 > 8.  The question is -- for those of us not
privy to doings inside of AT&T research organizations -- what *INTERESTING
STUFF* is there in the 9th edition that wasn't in the 8th edition???  My
understanding is that the 8th edition brought a boatload of innovations:
e.g. STREAMS, /proc, the ancestor of the File System Switch, etc.  But I've
never read an explanation of what new things came along in the 9th edition.

Can one of you AT&T folks *please* elucidate??
--
Jim Rosenberg                        pitt
Oglevee Computer Systems                 >--!amanue!oglvee!jr