Accounting woes for HCX/UX 3.0

Cris Fuhrman,G-40B ESB,293-2190,599-1202 fuhrman at h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu
Sat Jan 7 07:37:14 AEST 1989

>From article <1356 at mtunb.ATT.COM>, by jcm at mtunb.ATT.COM (was-John McMillan):
>
> Those data are REPORTED in 'comp_t' form.  This is NOT a SHORT:
> 	typedef	ushort comp_t;		/* "floating point" */
> 			/* 13-bit fraction, 3-bit exponent  */
> Notice: it is NOT EVEN SIGNED.  (Would you let your sibling marry
> 	a NEGATIVE non-signed value?)
>
> If you really think the system does this to save FLOATING POINT arithmetic,
> I've a coupla bridges for ya ;-}.  However, if you're interested in
> minimizing the size of accounting records, particularly dating back to
> those halcyon days when a 50 MB disk was often the sole large disk....

Is it possible then, that the report code is not using the correct
data type?  Or is it that the actual accounting records are
overflowing.  What I'm trying to say is, can I get any useful info
at all from accounting, or is it just a waste of cpu time?

Ok... Like I said, I'm new to unix.  I just graduated with a bs in cs, and
I had heard a lot of hype about unix from fellow computer scientists.  Is
it likely that people developing the new versions will realize that
50 MB sole disks are a thing of the past, and that machines are much
faster and more capable to do things (accounting is an important thing)
in a reasonable fashion?  I can see the hype losing it's flair.  It's
1989.

(* flame retardant pajamas being donned *)

-Cris

| Cris Fuhrman             | manager at a.coe.wvu.wvnet.edu (129.71.12.1)  |
| Comp Sys Manager         | un020312 at wvnvms.bitnet                     |
| G-40B Eng Science Bldg.  | "Just say NO to commercial file x-fers."   |
| WVU Morgantown, WV       |              - Kermit the Frog             |