VI/NROFF symbolics question

Steinar Overbeck Cook steinar at fdmetd.uucp
Fri Jan 27 02:26:46 AEST 1989

In article <418 at elan.UUCP>, jenni at elan.UUCP (Jenni Hufnagel) writes:
> From article <108 at mdiva1.uucp>, by fontana at mdiva1.uucp:
>
> In nroff you can define any string you want in a nterm file.
> These files are found in /usr/lib/nterm.   Pick the one that is
> correct for your printer.

The solution with defining the table of strings after 'charset' in a
'nterm' file, will only work if you have one of the newer versions of
nroff(1). I.e. like the ones sold by Elan. It is possible to change the
strings that are emitted by "old" nroff(1)'s though, but this requieres
hacking in the terminal description for the terminal/printer you are
using. To do this you will need a PD program called 'nroff(1)tab'.

If you have an "old" nroff(1) which uses compiled terminal descriptions,
you probably want to have a filter which expands your defines into the
correct strings.

If you have and "old" nroff(1) I would suggest using cpp(1), awk(1), sed(1),
ed(1) or even write your own little filter using lex(1).

-----
Steinar Overbeck Cook
Fellesdata a.s
P.O. Box 248