Nfs -- root privs

Montana State mtsu at blake.acs.washington.edu
Tue Jan 31 17:14:19 AEST 1989

I have 4 mVAXen hooked together, and I'm using a lot of NFS serving to
provicde home directories and all that crap.  I'm running Ultrix 2.3
on all nodes, I'm not running YP.  What I want to do is to be able to sit
as root on caesar, and modify files on the other machines.  This used to
work uder Ultrix 2.0, there was a procedure to change the value of the
kernel variable nobody to 0 rather than -2.  It don't seem to work under 2.3
...  I tried changing the nobody passwd entry to 0:0 for UID and GID, and that
didn't work either.  Any suggestions??

Replies to icsu6000 at caesar.cs.montana.edu or utah-gr!mts-cs!icsu6000 if these
questions are too basic.