terminfo vs. termcap

Tony L. Hansen hansen at pegasus.ATT.COM
Wed Jan 25 14:30:48 AEST 1989

< The captoinfo source is available by anonymous FTP from uunet.uu.net. The
< file is ~ftp/comp.sources.unix/volume3/tctoti.Z. This file then needs to
< be uncompressed.  Run the file after "cut here" through /bin/sh; this
< builds everything for make.  Then "make".  Then run it.

For completeness' sake, there are two versions of the program named
"captoinfo". The one mentioned above is a PD program and may freely be
redistributed. The one I'm most familiar with (since I wrote it) comes with
all System V release 3 machines, as well as available from the AT&T UNIX
Toolchest for a small fee. [Just call 1-201-522-6900 and login as "guest"
(there is no passwd) to browse through the Toolchest.] (This version may not
be freely redistributed except to other machines within your site.)

I won't compare the two programs as I didn't even bother keeping a copy of
the PD version for more than a few days, except to say that I did notice
that the PD version does not handle some of the more esoteric termcap
capabilities. I can't say anything else about the quality of translation by
it.

					Tony Hansen
				att!pegasus!hansen, attmail!tony