Dump in multi-user mode?

Michael R. Johnston mikej at lilink.UUCP
Mon Jan 16 01:20:12 AEST 1989

In article <362 at ntvax.UUCP> chris at ntvax.UUCP (Chris Britton) writes:
> What are the consequences of running "dump" in multi-user mode?

I'd say the consequences are very unpredictable unless you unmount the
file system you are dumping. If the file system is active there is no
telling what will happen. It somewhat akin to trying to paint a pictur of
a moving target. Not very easy and the program whas not meant to work this
way. Do you want to have to rely on this type of a backup? I can tell you that
the tape will most likely NOT verify.

--
Michael R. Johnston
System Administrator   {..!philabs!mergvax! | ..!uunet!ispi!} lilink!mikej