Accounting woes for HCX/UX 3.0

Cris Fuhrman fuhrman at b.coe.wvu.wvnet.edu
Thu Jan 5 08:29:51 AEST 1989

I hope someone out there has had some experience with the HCX/UX 3.0
version of unix running on an HCX-9 computer.  It seems that accounting
has a serious problem with the size of its data types for things like
KCORE minutes and stuff like that.  These values appear negative in the
reports (daily and monthly) for userids with large values (i.e. the values
overflow causing the sign bit to come on).  I called the software support ppl
and they said that the source is AT&T and they are having problems with
releasing it.  Also, they're beta testing 4.0 and don't really give a hoot
about 3.0 bugs right now.  In my opinion, that's no excuse for not helping
us perform a fairly common practice in a proper way.

If anyone has any ideas about patches or even why this type of
faux pas was allowed into the release, please let me know.

Also, I'm quite new to the unix environment (~6 months).  Can someone tell
me about AT&T vs Berkley as far as the history of both flavors.  HCX/UX has
a supposed best (or worst) of both worlds mixture.  I'm also working on
Sun Workstations and like some things better on them than the Harris, but I
know that Sun's flavor of unix is more like Berkley, right?

Sorry I sound so confounded.  I am.

-Cris