UPS directed system shutdown info needed

John Gayman john at wa3wbu.UUCP
Thu Jan 19 11:42:54 AEST 1989

    Does anyone have experience with interfacing a small UPS system (600-
1000VA) to a 386-based Unix box to allow for orderly system shutdown
when the batteries run down ?

    I see most small UPS vendors are offering a signal port option on most
of their units. I also see vendors offering software drivers for the
popular Mess-DOS LAN systems.

    My question is, how are these interfaces being handled by small Unix
boxes ?  I'm using a 386 machine running Microport V/386. What would
it take to have the system shutdown (logically) from a signal on an UPS ?
I assume most UPS's interfaces simply bring a signal low (or high) and
its up to the system to act upon it ?  Or does the UPS carry on a
dialog with the CPU ? (ie: Pssst, I have 3 minutes left, watta ya wanna
do, shutdown or go for broke ? Well punk, do ya feel lucky ?)

    [Sorry I got carried away]

    Seriously, I'd really like to hear from anyone doing this. Thanks.

						John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john at wa3wbu.uu.net
Marysville, PA 17053             |           Packet: WA3WBU @ AK3P