File transfers

billp at scr1.UUCP billp at scr1.UUCP
Sat Jan 28 14:21:43 AEST 1989

In article <8458 at dasys1.UUCP>, duster at dasys1.UUCP writes:
> After transferring a file from an MS-DOS PC to a 3B2 running UNIX, using
> kermit, the <cr> character (hex 0D) is stripped from my file.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this happens?

Kermit transforms textfiles into the correct text format for the receiving
system if it is told the file is a textfile.

If you want to move a non-text file between a Unix box and an MS-DOS machine
you must tell the Unix side the file is BINARY.  Otherwise Kermit will change
the Unix newline (linefeed) to carriage return/linefeed going to DOS and strip
the CR going to Unix.  Unix sees dos' cr/lf pair as a ^M followed by newline
which is incorrect for Unix.

Kermit will also translate on other os's including Unix, OS/32 and ascii<-->
ebcdic on IBM.

Hope this helps explain why this happens.

--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757