CBS UNIX(tm) Manuals. (Was: Re: Prentice-Hall exclusive?)

Larry Dighera root at conexch.UUCP
Tue Jan 17 07:49:51 AEST 1989

In article <299 at dcs.UUCP> wnp at dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:

>NOT SO! What you are referring to is in Volume 1, on the page immediately
>preceding page 'i'. Here it is, slightly more complete than what you included:
>
>       Contents: v. 1. Commands and utilities -- v. 2.
>     System calls and library routines -- v. 3. System
>     administration facilities.

This was the only reference to what appeared to be the System/Release
that I was able to locate anywhere in the manuals.

>And in Volume 5 (Languages & Support Tools) it continues:
>     ...  v. 4. Document preparation. -- v. 5. Languages
>     and support tools.

If I had noticed this in Volume 5, I would have realized that this notation
referred to the manual volumes and not the System/Release.  Sorry for the
oversight.  Thank you for calling this to my/our attention.

So, have you found any place in the CBS manuals that states exactly which
release they document?  Or, are we going to just take Mr. Rotow's word for
it that they are pre-Release 3?

It seems to me, that CBS deliberately omitted that information in an
attempt to deceive potential purchasers of their (out dated?) product.

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)