Comments in /etc/passwd

Steve Dempsey steved at longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu
Fri Jan 6 14:21:22 AEST 1989

In article <18759 at agate.BERKELEY.EDU> barn at paxton.ced.berkeley.edu (Gary Barnette) writes:

>	Can somone tell me if it is OK to have comments ( #... )
>	in /etc/passwd. Passwd(5) doesn't tell me. Running
>	BSD 4.2 version 3.2 on Suns.

I can't think of any stock 4.[23]/SunOS code that is likely to break.
For my own utilities that might not be robust enough (:-) and anything else
that may be lurking, I'd make the comment in the form of a legitimate passwd
entry - something like this:

      #:*:-99:-99:*** comments go here ***:/:/nologinshell

>Gary Barnette
>barn at CED.berkeley.edu

        Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
  Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
INET: steved at longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey at handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
UUCP: boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!steved, ...!ncar!handel!dempsey