Mail received by wrong persons ...

Rajan Parthasarathy ~ rpartha at cadev4.intel.com
Fri Jan 27 07:21:03 AEST 1989

We have been experiencing a problem with mail. Mail is getting delivered to
people who are not on the address list.  The problem has happens infrequently,
and is not reproducible.  We are running Ultrix V2.2 and VMS 4.6 at our site.

Some common features of the problem are :

1. All occurrences were from an Ultrix V2.2 machine. The unintended recepients
   were both on Ultrix and VMS.

2. Addresses of unintended people were not in the mail header.

2. In all known cases, the mailer used was Elm. It is not known if it
    has happened with other mailers.

3. The mails never got returned to the sender, i.e. no error messages.  It
    is not known if all of the intended people received the mails.

Has anybody else experienced this/similar problem ? Any suggestions,
comments on how to isolate or fix the problem ?

Thanks

Rajan

Disclaimer: The above are my personal opinions.

UUCP:{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!cadev4!rpartha
ARPA:rpartha%cadev4.intel.com at relay.cs.net
CSNET:rpartha at cadev4.intel.com