Unix Security Log

Frank Wortner frank at Morgan.COM
Sat Jan 21 02:17:32 AEST 1989

In article <5081 at homxc.ATT.COM> bgt at homxc.ATT.COM (B.TONGUE) writes:
>[...]  Briefly, there is material which is relevant
>to my group contained in my directories, and I'd like to keep
>a log on who 'cd's' into my subdirectories to use it.

I've often placed a local version of "ls" in various
subdirectories.  This ls was simply a shell script which invoked "who"
and "date", stuffed the results into a file, and then invoked "/bin/ls".

I know, my method is trivial, imperfect, and can be spotted/disabled by
any reasonably intelligent user, but you'd be surprised how many people
it does catch!
--
						Frank

"Computers are mistake amplifiers."