SVR3.2 backward compatibility

Phil Hughes fyl at ssc.UUCP
Tue Jan 24 05:47:51 AEST 1989

In article <214 at wa3wbu.UUCP>, john at wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>    I've been trying to follow the remarks about the release of 3.2
> Unix from a couple vendors. If I understand what everyone is saying,
> 3.2 is supposed to have "binary compatibility" with the other Unix's
> of the world.

>    My question is, will only the various 3.2 releases from each of the
> vendors have binary compatibility with the *other* 3.2 releases; or
> will it also work with current 3.0/3.1 releases ?

It is even better than it sounds.  Binary compatibility includes all
of the System 5 COFF programs for the 386 and I expect the 286) as
well as XENIX binaries for the 8086, 80286 and 80386.  I tried a few
XENIX binaries on ENIX over the weekend.  All worked fine.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl