Comments in /etc/passwd

Richard Childers childers at avsd.UUCP
Fri Jan 13 11:37:49 AEST 1989

barn at paxton.ced.berkeley.edu (Gary Barnette) writes:

>	Can somone tell me if it is OK to have comments ( #... )
>	in /etc/passwd.

Theoretically speaking, no, you can't have comments in /etc/passwd.

But practically speaking, it's possible to hack a fake 'passwd' entry that
acts in a way analogous to comments.

But this is a security hole, of sorts, in that unless you do it just right
it might facilitate a breakin.

While I guess it depends on the intent, usually strict numbering of UIDs
and occasional use of CAPITALS will work as an interim solution.

>				Thank you,

You're welcome !

>				Gary Barnette
>				barn at CED.berkeley.edu

-- richard

--
 *             "I haven't lost my mind ... it's backed up on tape."           *
 *                            ( Pete Da Silva )                               *