Uncompressing 16 bits on a 15 bit system

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Thu Jan 5 07:38:27 AEST 1989

In article <228 at yasc.PLA.CA.US> geoff at yasc.PLA.CA.US (Geoff Leach) writes:
>On a Fortune 32:16 with 1M RAM and process size 512K, it appears
>that compress can do at most 15 bits of compression/decompression.
>Does anyone know of a way to uncompress 16 bits in such a situation?

I would think that a 16-bit uncompress (and compress) should be able to
run in 512K.
You may want to try to compile compress for 16 bits and see if it runs.
I think compress uses about 400Kbytes in a big array, some 20K of other
variables, and the rest is code. But it's not a very big program so it
should fit in the remaining 90K.

Paul.