smail vs. sendmail

Michael H. Warfield Mike mhw at wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM
Tue Jan 3 05:01:46 AEST 1989

In article <378 at ispi.UUCP> jbayer at ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:

>	I have just finished installing smail on this system.  Now that
>I am done I have a question.  Since it is apparent that smail is able to
>do smart routing, what else does sendmail do that smail does not?

     Well that diepends on the version of smart mail involved.  The level
3.x smart mail (currently 3.1 I believe) is intended as a complete replacement
for sendmail.  Only thing that smail 3.1 should be missing is some of the
sendmail bugs and some of the sendmail confusion (ala sendmail.cf).  If you
are running smail 2.3 or smail 2.5 then you are missing a great deal.  You
cannot mail into files or into programs and you have no support for smtp.
These can all be worked arround.  I have adapted an "smtp" package and an
"lmail" package from comp.sources.unix to give me these facilities with smail
2.5.  If you're running 2.3, my sympathy and my hearty recommendation that you
upgrade.

---
Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw at wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!